Product layering is relatively important because the order in which you put product on your hair WILL determine how your hair looks and maintains health. For example, if you put a sealing oil on before you put your leave-in conditioner on, the leave-in is not going to be absorbed as well. You are essentially wasting product.
There are also methods within the curly hair community, like LOC (Leave-in/Oil/Cream) versus the LCO (Leave-in/Cream/Oil) that you can experiment with to see if your responds to one better than the other.
The order in which we listed our recommendations for Consciously Curly Co products are advised based off of what is meant to be absorbed, versus what is meant to seal the hair.
First, Apply Base layers:
This one is non-negotiable. If you are going to use a base layer-product, it must be applied before any of the styling products to really do it's job.
1. Botanical Spray is our most-base layer. It is water-based, and will be best received if applied before any oils or creams. This can (and should) be sprayed onto the scalp and hair strands. You can use this in addition to leave-in conditioners, or as a substitute if you have very fine hair, or hair that get's oily easily.
2. Herbal Growth Oil. Since this is meant to be applied to the scalp, apply this before any creams. Make sure to massage scalp for 3-5 minutes when you apply.
3. Leave-In's. Leave-in Conditioners are the base for styling products. Ours are lightweight and easily-absorbed. If you use a leave-in conditioner, apply it before curl-creams, gels, and sealing oils or butters.
Middle, This Depends:
What you do next really depends on your preference and what products you are going to use. Here's what we recommend trying:
- If you are going to use a curl cream, apply it after applying base layers, but before gels or sealing oils.
- If you are using one of our botanical gels or the anti-humidity cream gel, apply it after the base layers and curl creams (if using a curl cream) but before sealing oils.
This also depends on preference. As mentioned earlier, some people prefer to do oils before creams, but for starting out, we recommend trying:
- If you are going to use our Heat + UV Protectant Spray, apply it after bases and/or styling products but before the sealant as it is a water-based product.
- If you are using a sealing oil or butter apply it after any water-based products: bases, creams, or gels. apply it as the very last step.
Just to give you an idea of things, if you were to use every type of styling product we offer, here's how we would recommend sequencing it:
6. Heat Protectant ( Heat + UV Protectant Spray)
Ultimately, you can layer your products however you like, but doing it this way is how you will get the most bang for your buck!
We hope this helps your routine! Please DM us on Instagram if you have any questions.